LASER STRETCH MARK REMOVAL - Bentleigh, MELBOURNE
Stretch marks removal
Stretch marks are seen mostly in women but can affect men as well, occurring during various phases of life. Teenagers, both boys and girls, may develop stretch marks, especially during puberty.
Bodybuilders are also prone to stretch marks on their shoulders from rapid muscle gain. This is the result of the muscle growing faster than the skin elasticity allows. If you’re wondering how to remove stretch marks, Medix Skincare & Laser Clinic has the answer with laser stretch mark removal in Melbourne.
What are stretch marks?
Before seeking stretch mark removal, it can be beneficial to understand exactly what stretch marks are. Stretch marks appear due to the stretching of skin as a result of the expansion of underlying tissue. When your skin is overstretched, normal collagen and elastin (the major proteins that are responsible for the skin firmness and elasticity) production is disrupted, which in turn forms stretch marks. At first, the marks may look red or purple because of the skin’s inflammatory reaction. When the inflammation fades away, this is replaced by scar tissue with a white or silvery colour. If feeling with the fingers, stretch marks feel like small ridges.
The causes of stretch marks
Stretch marks can occur due to a sudden change in hormones or growth and can be related to puberty, pregnancy, weight gain or loss – especially if this occurs in a short period of time. The main cause is rapid weight gain in a short time, with the marks able to appear on any part of the body where extra fat is present. The size and number of stretch marks often depends on the extent of weight that’s gained.
One of the most common causes of stretch marks in women is pregnancy. Pregnant women are more likely to develop stretch marks around their belly as the baby grows. More new stretch marks can occur with multiple pregnancies, but not all pregnancies produce stretch marks, which means genetics also plays a big role in whether particular women will get them or not.
Stretch marks removal
At Medix Skincare & Laser Clinic, we can use various treatments to remove stretch marks. These include:
- VPL laser treatment – Laser stretch mark removal is best suited for newly formed stretch marks. The longer wavelengths of the VPL laser light penetrate deeply into the skin tissue, which in turn stimulates the underlying cells to produce extra collagen. The collagen moves to the skin surface, leading to a tightening of the skin which helps to minimise the look of stretch marks.
- Radio frequency skin needling – One the most effective treatments for stretch marks, RF technology works to restructure the skin’s dermal collagen matrix. RF energy penetrates deeply into the dermis without heating the epidermis, using tiny gold needles to carry the energy directly into the lower skin layers. The applied heat increases skin cells activity on the treated area, which in turn boosts collagen and elastin production to reduce the appearance of stretch marks.
- Microdermabrasion – This stretch mark removal treatment combines skin exfoliation with slight suction. It stimulates collagen and elastin production by the fibroblasts and living cells at the basal layer of the epidermis. This effect improves cell turnover and blood flow, making it well suited for reducing the appearance of stretch marks. It can also be used on the face and body to reduce other types of scarring, such as acne scars.
Applying topical cream or oil that’s rich in Vitamin A and E in conjunction with the above treatments can give a better result – especially for newly formed stretch marks.
How many stretch marks treatments are recommended?
The type and number of treatments will depend on your skin type and the stage of your stretch marks. As everyone’s skin is different, responses will vary. Please book with us for a free consultation so we can discuss your stretch marks removal treatment options.
What should I do before and after stretch mark removal treatments?
- Avoid direct sun exposure, spray tanning or sun beds for 6 weeks before and after laser stretch mark removal. If you will be exposed to the sun, a high SPF sunscreen should be applied.
- Avoid waxing or peeling or any kind of skin resurfacing for 2 to 3 weeks before and after the treatment.
- Don’t do any heavy or sweaty workouts within 24 hours of the treatment.
- Don’t apply any make-up to the treated area until swelling and discomfort are resolved.
- Don’t have a hot shower for 24 hours after the treatment.
- Treated areas should be cared for by gentle washing without scrubbing or rubbing.
Does stretch mark removal have any side effects?
Redness of the skin is to be expected. Immediately following your treatment, you may feel a little sunburnt and the treated area may be red for a few hours. Clients with darker skin may notice the skin is darker after the treatment. This will gradually lighten over a period of about two weeks. Some clients may experience swelling after stretch mark laser removal, but this goes away within a few days.
Applying a cool compress or cooling gel immediately after treatment will relieve any swelling or burnt feeling, but don’t use anti-inflammatory products, as these can interfere with the treatment.
Using products rich in antioxidants and vitamins A, E and C can be helpful.
For more information on how to remove stretch marks, contact Medix Skincare & Laser Clinic today. Call us on (03) 9686 0003 or click here to book an appointment.